The Galle Fort Clock Tower is situated in Galle Fort. It overlooks the central moon Bastion which also happens to be the site of the old guard room. Constructed in 1883 it is a very popular landmark in Galle Fort. It was built in recognition of Dr. P.D. Anthonisz, a Colonial Surgeon. The clock was the gift of a patient named Mudaliyar Samson de Abrew Rajapakse. The tower stands four storeys high.
The Galle Clock Tower stands over 25 meters tall on the site of what was once the guardroom, and overlooks the central Moon Bastion and Galle Cricket Stadium. The design of the clock tower was based on the work of John Henry Guess Landon, while the clock itself was donated as a gift by Mudaliyar Samson de Abrew Rajapakse, a patient of Dr Anthon’s who wanted to show his gratitude for the care that he received. The clock no longer tells the time, but the monument to the doctor still stands and is today a major landmark for visitors to the historic Galle Fort. Although the clock tower was built during the time when Sri Lanka was under British rule, the statues dotted around the structure were erected after Sri Lanka achieved its independence.